View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #36
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
Fantastic pics! Your ride report has me marking spots on the map to check out! keep the pics coming!
The entire purpose of my post really is to provide visual and narrative info that might be helpful to other riders.....any of my opinions and/or editorializing should be taken with a pound of salt.

I am glad some riders find this info helpful for their own trip planning and that others just enjoy the ride vicariously

As a previous viewer has admonished me for my insensitivity, I have agreed with him offline and his perception that I could have been more supportive with San Ignacio Woman....but more on her adventure later as the report unfolds.

Back on the road to Peace....

La Paz is a busy place that has a great history, urban insanity, good connections...and is a good place to use as a transitional stage from the "outback" riding we had been doing and the tourist glut of the south cape region.

We spent several days at my preferred place, Hotel Gardenia...

We did the bondage thing with the bikes...

I was surprised that they were as accommodating as they were about having our bikes inside the courtyard, but a fellow from Wisconsin (sorry I don't recall his name right now) had set the precedent a bit earlier (and they have most likely been as gracious over the years with other riders....any time I had been there previously it was on a GS and I was willing to leave it outside in the parking lot) ...

The pool was "refreshing"...and offered opportunities to be a sun pig...

La Gardenia is east of central downtown and several blocks south of the malecon. It has a restaurant that we only used for coffee or an occasional breakfast for the 2-3 days we stayed there. Darren had some downtime with intestinal issues, the predictable experience for many travellers. It is not a real surprise that when folks from Mexico (and other countries as well) experience similar issues when visiting Canada and the USA....different bacteria than we are used to can plague any traveller...

So, drink lots of water, no alcohol, don't overdose on the Immodium, and don't let it bug you as it usually passes ina few days...

Darren made friends with all sorts of bugs along the way....he has a neice, apparently" that really likes insects so Darren was compiling a range of pics for her...

One afternoon we were looking for a place to have lunch on the waterfront and I noticed a place offering "drinks and snacks" so we asked what they offered...

The young bartender, Oscar, was kind enough to let us know that the "snacks" was really peanuts and chips stuff, and he suggested we go further down the street for real food....and offered to keep an eye on the truck while we had lunch elsewhere. We walked for several blocks and didn't want to eat at Applebee's or other overpriced waterfront locales so we decided to return to Oscar's and have a beer or something to drink before finding lunch....

Well, we decided on a margarita instead of a beer and Oscar promised us THE BEST MARGARITA IN THE BAJA....how could we turn it down???

I watched him carefully prepare what looked like a classic marg and then was horrified to see him top it off with some terrible Tang-like orange juice...we sipped on them, munched on a variety of peanuts and chip stuff.

The marg didn't appeal to my tastebuds, but it somehow appealed to my sense of "Let's drink margaritas!!!"

So we had several (that includes up to 4 doesn't it?)...Darren was inspired to take some pics of the surroundings after a while...

And the sunny afternoon turned into sunset...

....remember this started out as lunch.....so, despite the Tang overriding the taste of lime and tequila, somehow we remained glued to our stools for a period of time here that was somehow altered by the consumption of such a wonderous libation....

Moral of the story...."Tang ain't that bad 1"

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote