View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #42
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
December 30th....we gladly got out of La Paz....

Arrangements that I had made over the kindness of the Baja Nomads Forum
http://forums.bajanomad.com

for parking the truck in La Paz for our planned week-long loop of the Cape Region were changed. Carol, an ex-pat building her third home in La Paz had been kind enough to offer parking....and the only thing she expected in return was a small trash bag for her new VW so her gum wrappers would not add to la basura floating around the desert.

The day before we left, I drove west of town to where she was living and met her face-to-face for the first time. We had a brief but pleasant visit during which she shared her plans for the house she is building and some of the intricasies of such a project. I don't doubt she will have a well constructed home by the time she is finished as it is evident she is capable of manoeuvering the bureaucratic merry-go-round in Mexico...

Thanks again Carol...y bueno suerte con su casa....

On the road south...

We were looking forward to using San Jose del Cabo as a base for 4-5 days of riding....and we headed towards Los Barrilles...

A pit stop was in order just past the junction of #1 and # 19 ...

as was some prep for the military checkpoints...

Somewhere along the winding and shoulderless road Darrens asked...

"Is that San Ignacio Woman ahead???" when he spied someone ahead on the highway. Sure enough, we saw her riding along on a downhill section but couldn't pull over to reconnect with her ...

We just looked at each other and both agreed that we were:
1) Glad she was alive;
2) Sorry that we couldn't pull over at the time to reconnect;
3) Wondering how she managed to get this far...by her own peddle power and/or by accepting rides from more sympathetic souls than us??? ...not that that mattered;
4) Glad she was alive;
5) Respectful of her determination and hardiness;
6) Sorry that we didn't have a picture of her to immortalize her own adventurous spirit in this tale;
7) appreciative of her ability to get that far without serious physical injury as riding bicycles on the highways of Baja may be something some of us have considered at times, but few have done...as some travelling represents foolhardy choices more than well-thought-out adventuring...
8) Glad that she was alive...

Our hats were off to San Ignacio Woman

She was living her dream, riding her adventure, and doing it her way....and so far, was surviving it..

Some folks think that motorcycling is too dangerous...so who am I to judge.

It is experiencing folks like her on the trail that sometimes humbles me and reframes my perspectives.

We continued and approached El Triunfo and stopped for some pics...

some remnants of the old mining and smelting days...

and some old buildings....if I had previous lives....some of them were certainly spent in adobe and brick ...

Back in the truck and MAchaca burritos at San Bartolo...a canyon area with sandy arroyos that beg to be ridden....next trip

We motored on south and made it to San Jose del Cabo about mid-afternoon and, after driving in circles for a hour or so due to the road changes east of town where they are building a new marina, we found another piece of paradise...a place i have always wanted to call home for at least a day or two...

And it was great...

That's it for now....I'm going to have some chicken burritos for lunch

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote