View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #52
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
La Playita is not only a great place to stay, but just around the corner as you approach from San Jose it is a restaurant which provided one of the top 3 meals of the trip....

This place looked better than the other establishment and BOY DID WE MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE

They serve wonderful seafood and the Coconut Prawns were THE F'ing BEST I have ever had....los camarones were very big and succulent....

Darren ordered spaghetti with a creamy prawn sauce and kept staring longingly at my Coconut Prawns....I succumbed and gave him one....that is the only time I ever saw Darren with that expression of envy on his face

Okay....maybe it wasn't envy

We were enjoying our pre-dinner cerveza when a gringo walked in with a big zip-lock baggie ....he had a face that glowed with several days of sun and an afternoon of drinking ...as there were only several other folks in the small restaurant, he quickly surveyed the scene and focussed on us.

"Hey, have you guys already ordered?''

"Yep", we replied (as this was BEFORE the Coconut Prawns hijacked my tastebud s and total foof focus).

"Hey, I have a bunch of yellow-tail I caught the other day and I'm gonna get the chef to cook it up with lots of garlic butter....want some?...."

Appreciating the offer and the situation, Darren and I deferred for an obligatory millisecond before accepting his offer....

We began a conversation and heard the story about fishing, but not his afternoon/day of drinking...

He was having such a good time, sitting several tables away, maintaining his narrative with us and enjoying a margarita....

Our meal arrived and the Coconut Prawns held my attention hostage for a while...so the fisher guy did not have our undivided attention for a bit....his meal arrived around the time we had finished ours....and the chef also brought out a second larger platter heaping with the remainder of the pescado con mojo de ajo....the waiter took the platter to Fisher Guy...and he redirected the waiter to give it to us.....the waiter seemed hesitant and said something about us having had enough to eat , but Fisher Guy insisted....we graciously accepted two large pieces and I then directed the waiter to a local gentleman who had been sitting there with his meal in front of him ....and I suggested to the waiter that he offer the local some of the tuna...which he did.

The local guy had been quietly and patiently managing to sit at his table between our table and that of Fisher Guy....he graciously accepted the tuna and nodded his appreciation towards me ... I quickly redirected his expression of gratitude to Fisher Guy and we all had a good laugh

Darren bought Fisher Guy another margarita....and with that and a newly built tuna taco in hand, Fisher Guy let out a BIG " Aaarrrrgghhh"....

There was a sense of connection at that time , my friends

The evening was concluded with some party favours and a pleasant dipping of the toes in the chuck....

and then some relaxation...

The next morning was the last at La Playita....and we had a good breakfast with the best beans of the whole trip.....

"My grandmother taught me how to make them: said the cook, a very pleasant fellow....

From La Playita, we moved into a condo in San Jose that was offered free of charge for almost a week (a neighbour's place was vacant) by a friend who had moved to San Jose about 15 years ago and who teaches English and gardening there at a private school....BIG thanks to Maria-Elena...La Chingona del Casa

Secure parking was a bit tight at times....

but it was a great place and we were treated well ....we were invited to attend New Year's Eve festivities, a wedding party potluck by the pool, and met some fine folks who were either tourists or local ex-pats...

Darren and I were planning a BIg Ride Day on a route to Todos Santos....it was hot even at 9:00 am so we were eager to get the bikes out of the lot.

Funny how it is sometimes when you happen to look at your rear tire while cinching your chin strap at the beginning of a highly expected ride and you see...

Now, changing a flat is a drag at any time, but when it happens when you are That Guy on the day of one of the prize rides of the trip, and when your riding partner is chomping at the bit....it is Way bummer

Darren was gracious about it and helped with the repair....

and offered the "let's use the barrel technique"...

Now, for many of you out there this is no big deal....some folks get it off the bike, repaired, and back on in 4-5 minutes....but I come from a different planet, I guess, as it takes me a while in good conditions.

This task was something I had been dreading ever since I spent 45 minutes getting the rear Trelleborg off the bike in April '05 after last using them in the Baja.....

I have chosen the Trelleborg as my enduro guru Al Perrett (Baja class winner--Husqvarna - a buncha times- and Kamloops resident) replied when I asked him why he uses them, "I just haven't found anything that lasts longer." It is tough as hell, has a high sidewall and is a real Tootsie Roll of a tire...("Chewy and lasts a long time")....

I expected a rough time with the stiff tire, a Bridgestone Ultra Heavy-Duty tube, and my low skill level.

I was stunned at, after a 5 minute period of circling the tire like a WWF contestant eying his opponent, the bead breaking and tube removal process went a whole lot easier than expected....with a bit of dish soap mixture under the tire rim, it went on smoother than........ (you fill in the analogy)...

Trelleborgs are difficult to find in the USA I have been told, but are relatively easy to get here....made in the same place as Mitas, but have different rubber compounds.

Trellie w/ red stripe....you have to ride them until you wear off the red stripe :

This is a pic of the Trellie I used in '05 that had 2500kms of Baja...and I would say it had about 1/4 of the tread left...

And as you can see....I had not ridden the red stripe off yet

The day was not lost....Darren came up with the brilliant idea of riding east along the East Cape Road and find a beach so we could chillax in the right atmosphere...

It took some time to encourage Darren to relax from the ride...but this guy is Two-Wheel Guy from an early age and he likes to WATGATT

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote