Old 02-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #28
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound
I suspect many of us here were at one time cyclists

back to cycling panniers....

That's a great idea. Reletively cheap, smaller than the RTW crates you see on big touring bikes, yet adequate for light touring when the wx is reasonable. Where's my Nashbar catalog ???

Yep, me too, and still ride a mtn and road bike to stay fit. Lot of crossover between cycle touring and MT. Still have my Kirtland tourpack panniers (ST's, I think) from 30 years ago but do prefer metal or plastics for panniers on the motorcycles. Some like the fabrics; whatever works for you is great! Still cycle about 2000 miles/year but that's about it. To read about some real cycling hardcores check out randonneuring at www.randonneursontario.ca. Comparing these guys to the riders of the big cycling tours is like comparing Isle of Man to Moto GP riders.

Yep, my DR200SE is my powered mountain bike; small enough to be easily manageable but big enough to get the job done. It's great to not have to be the engine at times.

Regarding my previous post; the DR200SE has a 3.5 gal tank and if I run in "cruise" mode I will go just about 300 miles before hitting reserve. With a normal touring load (about 80lbs) it will get about 100mpg. I can even pick it up by myself if it falls over or I auger it into the mud.

I do want to add this warning about the 200. It is a great bike but has short legs. Even with my 15:42 final I don't like to ride it over 50 mph (but have at times). Like a cyclist you have to share the road (other motorists do appreciate the courtesy and even will give a wave of thanks not just the Adv Rider salute) while riding certain MT bikes on the highway, the DR200SE happens to be one of them when the posted speeds are 55+. I think some of these MT bike are better suited for the more experienced while out on the highway. Managing higher speed traffic can be a handful at times and we don't want to see anyone hurt or scared to death so they wouldn't want to ride again. Back to point; I have not seen a redline figure for this engine but based on my riding experience it will perform the best and give the best service life cruising somewhere around 4800-5200 depending on load and conditions. For comparison my DR350SE has a redline of 9000 rpm and loves 5000 rpm, and my F650GSD hums along at the 3800 rpm mark.

All you Suzuki riders should be aware of Jesse at www.kientech.com. He has goodies for the DR's. Check out the extended pilot screw. For those of you still running factory carb settings and experiencing weather related idle variations the extended pilot screw will allow adjustments. I do believe this screw is available from other sources for this common Mikuni carb.

steve gs screwed with this post 02-05-2007 at 01:02 PM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote