View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 AM   #91
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
That was no Aprilia, that was a Rotax engine. And even then the BMW used a different head than the Aprilia. Nowadays the G650 X is being built by Aprilia, but again with a Rotax engine.
What's yer point? AFAIK, until the 450/550 Aprilia hasn't built an engine in 20 or so years. Always the Rotax or Suzuki(?)

Here's some of my WAGs, to add to the rumor mill. That this thing bears even a slight cosmetic resemblance to anything BMW may choose to produce someday is a miracle. Same as the F650RR's built by Richard Schalber and raced in Dakar, same as the R900RRs raced a few years later. This is a prototype, and it has "Northern Italy" stamped all over it. Check out the frame. Check out ours (perhaps made in the same factory):

Although a different concept, the same fit, finish, and fasteners. Same as the engine on the 450, current with Aprilia concepts.

Definitely a prototype or test mule. They don't have to worry about how hard it is to change a sprocket. They have twenty mechanics that can probably do it in ten minutes, even if the entire engine has to come out of the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
BMW 450 Frame is absolutely different than Aprilia XRV´s combined deltabox-multitubular frame.
But take a look at the RACING Super-Motards. Much less Delta, much more thin-wall cro-moly tubing.
Quote:
Also i´ve been comparing both engines an there are many differences.
Like one cylinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
Last news in spanish magazine Motociclismo, says that BMW has bought Husqvarna´s modern factory at Cassainete, Italy. BMW buy the factory production line, not the brand.

Looks like BMW will use its own technology and quality control but through former Husqvarna factory.

Husqvarna own production lines will remain at Varesse.

BMW aims directly to KTM.......
I'm with you. I think this will be the first product made in that factory, and the G-line assembly will move there as well.

Who'll buy a $7K BMW dirt bike? Ask an HP-2 owner. They could buy two and have change. I would as well.

In related news, I got to sit on an F800S today and pour over a XChallenge. I must admit, in person the fit and finish of the X is much better than the KLR quality apparent in the pics. Looks rather well put together.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote