View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #78
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,032
When replacing the carbs how do you know when they're level? I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference, but I like getting them even and in the same position every time. At least it'll keep the same tension on the cables so they don't need re-adjusting. Use a short (about 9") level and hold it to the bottom of the float bowl in front, adjusting the carb till the bubble is centered. Sure is quicker than eyeballing them to see if they look right.

I'm not real fond of notching the ground attachment eye. I like having all the grounding surface I can get, and I also prefer not to touch the trans ground mount/breather bolt at all. I just disconnect at the battery instead. I know, it takes a little bit longer than loosening the trans grounding bolt, but there aren't many threads in there and it's a real pain to fix when they go.

Along that same line, if the threads do strip out, there's a trans cover mounting bolt a few inches closer to the battery. But it's a counter-sunk allen head. You'll need to get a longer one - the length of the head - about ten mm - and enough washers to fill the hole. Attach the ground there. I've heard of guys running the ground to a point on the frame where all the other grounds attach, but don't think that's a great idea. The reason is that the starter motor puts a heavier drain on the battery than anything else on the bike. The ground needs to be as close to the starter as possible with the fewest connections to travel through.

Wirespokes screwed with this post 03-11-2007 at 09:57 PM
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote