View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #63
viatormundi OP
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
Hemavan-Bodö

Next day I don't feel so good and decide to drive on the asphalt route following the coast line. That means I will miss the nordic race circuit Mo i Rana.
Today's route:

It is roughly 330 km long

We will meet Thomas' group in Saltströmmen, an interesting place with very strong currrents.

We drive with a decent tempo and Lars Eve is also joining me. We see a glacier on the way.

The road follows Atlantic ocean, is is not raining but not sunny neither

Meanwhile the other group reaches the race track in Mo i Rana.

It is also called the arctic race circuit. It is 3.7km long and 200mt above the sea level. I hear afterwards that Thomas and Lars Olof managed to sneak into the circuit and drive couple of round I should have followed them maybe.

While my group passes the polar circle in a ferry, the other group meets a small monument.

Although Thomas promised me that they won't drive on gravel roads today, they manage to find an old road from 1960s.

While Thomas and Lars Olof are sweating on gravel roads we are having a coffee break. A very relaxed day actually.

Then we arrive to Saltströmmen. It is a some sort of tight water passage area where the tide is very strong. We were not there at the high time but some pictures I found on the internet can explain the strength of the current maybe

Every 6 hours 400 million m3 amount of water passes through 150mt long passage. A paradise for big fish beacuse they just open their mouth and catch small fish. Therefore many fishers are there too. This guy seems to be very happy

About an hour later we arrive to Bodö. A harbour city which doesn't have the charm of Trondheim. I am extra excited today because my girlfriend will fly to Bodö from Stockholm and will be with me for the rest of the trip. Tomorrow we will drive to Lofoten, a very very special place..
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote