View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #67
bemiiten OP
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,824
With the assembled transmission shafts still in the freezer , I begin to heat the front case with 2 heat guns. Getting all three shafts plus one shift fork into case all at once is a little tricky. The laser thermometer is worth it's weight to avoid guessing if your ready to try and install the shafts. The case must be hot enough for the bearings to freely slide home. I neglected to take pictures because I wanted to get the transmission assembled and the cases torqued as quickly as possible to take advantage of the rapidly warming transmission shafts. With the seals already in place , I want to use as little heat as possible so as to not damage them.
When the shafts and shifting mechanism are installed ,I apply the Locktight 515 to the front case. I heat the rear case and slide it home paying attention that the seals are started properly. Torque the case bolts in a crisscross manner and drive home the two drift pins last. I let the gasket sealer set before filling the transmission with gear oil.
[IMG][/IMG]

bemiiten screwed with this post 04-27-2007 at 04:36 PM
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote