View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #13
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Yo Don - we shall keep your identity a secret......for now.....

Many folks wonder, what tires and tire pressure should I ride to the bottom of the canyon system.

The answer is.....it depends!

NOTICE!!!! YOU DO NOT NEED NOBBIES!!!!!

Here's what I took down the "hill"

Those are Michelin Anakees.

I initially reduced air pressure by 10 PSI when I did the short trip to the Valley of the Monks. WAYYYYYYY toooooo much let out....

When I went "down valley" i.e. into the Batopilas Canyon, I stopped at the Pemex and let out half that, or 5 PSI over what the tires read hot. PERFECT! BTW, I had about 5,000 miles on the Anakees when I launched for Mexico. When I came out of the hole - and a beautiful hole it is - I used this little baby to air up, at the same Pemex:

As I've mentioned before, I went in with Motodiscovery, an outfit out of Spring Branch, Texas, which happens to be only about 15 minutes from my house. Our fab guide was Pancho. Here he is:

Looks kind of relaxed, doesn't he. Well, do you remember the movie "City Slickers"? That's the group Pancho had. By the end of the week, here's what he looked like -

Pancho was worth his weight in gold. Great rider, great mechanic, great friend. We had several electrical problems, two tire flats, and a bunch of folks who just liked having someone point in the needed direction and go. Pancho literally took bikes apart and put them back together by the side of the road....

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote