View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
Just a last pic from Tofo. Good sized fish being brought in by the locals in little row boats. Could be tuna.

Our next stop are to be Inhassoro, north of Vilancoulos. I choose to skip Vilancoulos because on the previous trip the place had a bit of an iffie feel to it security wise. I can't put my finger on it and it was probably just in my mind.

I did get good pics at the time though. I love the feeling that the sight of dhows always elicit. That 'old man and the sea' feeling of sun, salt stains, bleached wood and worn canvas. It's like looking back into the time of Ali Baba.

Early one morning, before sunrise,I sat at the waters edge looking out to the Bazaruto islands. The scene was just plain breathtaking.

Bypassing Vilancoulos turns out to be a mistake. Inhassoro is a decrepit little place with only one resort to stay at. It's a lovely hotel on the beach with chalets, rooms and camping, with a bar and dinner and staff..................and no guests.

Even the trees are trying to make a slow getaway.

We drink a lonely beer in the bar, eat dinner under the trees (served by the most beautiful waitress) and have to turn in early. We didn't want to turn in early.
Because the hotel is too expensive we have to camp. We are the only people there, it is quite far from the hotel, the fence have mostly been stolen and the ablutions do a scary imitation of 19th century insane asylum hose rooms.
Luckily my impressive survival skills ensure that we take a shower while there are still some hot water from the sun baking the rusty pipes. I have a strict rule that I live by; no hot water, no shower. My roommates in the army did an admiral job toughening it out from time to time.

I also have the first opportunity to use my superfast self erecting tent. (come to think of it, now I have two, both come straight up, you just need to pull a wire.)

We try to get a good night's sleep in because tomorrow we turn away from the coast for the first of three long days of riding.
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote