Thread: Drz400 Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #16
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieDRZ
I just got the S version. What is the best bang for the buck to get more power out of it? I am cheep and don’t want to spend a lot of money and I don’t really want it to be super loud.
Most guys add a pipe or drill out the stock exhaust, but mostly you get noise/thunder without much power benefit. You do save some weight though. Personally, I wanted quiet and am running the stock exhaust - it works fine.

It's pretty hard to beat the 3x3 mod - it will give you a couple horse for $60 or so. You cut a 3"x3" hole in the top of the airbox (can be done in-situ with a hot putty knife), fit the needle and CV diaphragm spring from a DynoJet Stage 1 kit, and replace the main jet and pilot jet - I think I used a 142.5 and 25 respectively for a sea level bike as per Burns' suggestions in Thumpertalk.

I'm turning mine into an adventure bike that I can ride trails also. List of mods: TT case guards, Acerbis hand guards, protaper fat bar with riser adapters, spider grips, white bros skid plate, Suzuki luggage rack, Dirt Bagz soft bags and standoffs, Clarke 3.9 gallon tank.

The seat is an unsolved problem. I want to try an SDG, but they've been back-ordered forever.

Great bike.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote