Thread: Drz400 Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #40
Colorado4Wheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright
I would like to know what riders have run into when mounting their after market tanks. I read one post that "massaged the tank into place." I purchased a 4 gal IMS tank that I am very pleased with now. Installation was a bitch. Not wanting to put stress on the radiator at the shroud mounting points, I made offset brackets - the bolt holes were off by 1/4 inch. On the rear mounts I altered one bracket and lined up the holes by pushing the tank forward with a lever. Are they all this difficult?

On another note, I found that the Acerbis locking gas cap works on the IMS tank - may be old news, but feels better when taking long trips and leaving the bike unattended.
I installed a Acerbis 4.2 yesterday. Went in with zero issues. It has dual petcock so it emptys fully from both sides. I thought I had a issue with the tank hitting my riser bars but then I noticed the previous owner had put the adapter blocks on backwards. Once I revesed them to the right spot I had full lock with not hitting on the tank.