View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
AdvRydr OP
De asini vmbra disceptare

Oddometer: 3,247
After spending the night in Scottsboro, we woke Sunday morning to discover that in rural Alabama, everything is closed on Sunday mornings. After a goodly search for breakfast, we headed to our next destination, Cloudland Canyon in the very northwest corner of Georgia.

On the way, while traveling some 'interesting' back roads courtesy of a Zumo on its maiden voyage, we were apprached bythis little guy:

I say 'we' were approached, but in reality, this little goat was especially entranced with the little green bike and its rider. He approached so quickly and with such determination that we initially thought we were being charged. Instead, the little guy just seemed to want a pat and a treat.

We tried to feed him a piece of gum, but he wasn't interested.

At Cloudland Canyon, we walked down to both falls, a total of about 600 steps, and boy howdy, I'm still feeling that in my calves! Beautiful scenery, although there was a lot of smoke and haze all weekend from the fires in south Georgia and northern Florida.

Going downhill is the easy part, it's coming back up that kills you:

You can always take a breather under the huge hanging rock:

Finally, you get to the falls, where it's very peaceful, if there aren't too many other tourists sharing the falls with you.

That afternoon/evening, as we headed up into Chattanooga, we came across this neat place, a hang-gliding launch point:

(the big clearing you see at the end of the ramp is the airpark, where these gliders would land at the end of their flights.)

I wonder how they constructed this ramp. I don't think I'd want to be the guy hanging off a rope with a bucket of concrete.

There were several people queued up, waiting their chance to launch. We stayed until nearly nightfall, but the winds were never favorable for our mountaintop-launching friends, who needed a headwind but instead faced a consistent 5+ knot tailwind, not at all conducive to jumping off a ramp looking for lift

However, from the airpark below, there were two or three ultralights running a towing circuit, towing paragliders from the ground aloft, and then, once the glider released the rope, the ultralight would chop power and spiral down to the airpark quickly in order to pick up the next fare.

As night began to fall, we were treated to a beautiful sunset, enhanced of course by all that smoke.