View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #58
BigTwin
Adventure Hound

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDoc
Fortunately not mine. That's its engine oil on the ground.
Hey, that's my bike! (unfortunately)

On day two of Rawhydes Adventure Challange this last weekend I rolled over a pile of logs at the end of a section and my skidplate clipped the top of the logs. I wasn't going fast, nor did I hit the logs all that hard, but the rigid mounted skidplate knocked two holes in the bottom of the engine at the rear mounting holes. Mike from BMW of San Diego loaned me his HP2 to finish the day on, and I drove home friday night and picked up my other HP2 so that I could finish the event on saturday. Pete from BMW of Ventura County is checking on getting this repaired under warranty. Some of the HP2s came from the factory with rigid mounts as this one did, and the factory has sent out a service bulletin to the dealers telling them to replace the rigid mounts with rubber ones when the bikes come in for service.
Go out to your garage right now and check to see that the two rear holes in your skidplate are connected to the engine via rubber mounts. If you see shiny aluminum spacers between the skidplate and the engine, tell your dealer to change them out for rubber ones.

Jim Hyde put on a great event this last weekend. It was great riding, good food. lots of nice people, vendors with cool stuff and tons of interesting bikes to look at. If you have never done anything with Rawhyde Adventures, you should check out his web site and join in on one of his events.