View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 04:19 AM   #92
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
As many of you know I'm most active on the Minimalist Tourer thread with my DR200SE. I've recently gone from a 15:42 final to a 15:40 in the effort to achieve optimal performance for overlanding.

Found that the 40T wheel sprocket provided excellent performance at 45+ mph with a reasonable rolloff; but, there was a 20% loss in fuel economy (105 to 81 mpg). This test was performed with panniers fitted and figure total load was about 210lbs with rider and gear.

Where the bike could cruise at 4500rpm before with the 42T (40-42 mph) it needed at least 4900 to settle down with the 40T. Was using Shell V- power as fuel nevertheless this test verified how important W-Power (wind) is on small engines and economy.

Mick;

My 200 started off as my daughter's bike but when she opted for a Kawasaki our 200 sat until I started riding it after I broke my leg and couldn't handle anything heavier for a while. The 200's size and weight was so similar to my 78 Yammie IT175 (still have) it was a match. I have other bikes but really prefer the nimbleness of smaller lightweight bikes.

I see your 200's come with a kickstart which we do not have offered here in the states. Do you have someone in Australia that offers an online microfiche or a parts contact. I would like to fit that to mine. Not sure if I had the part numbers that I could order here or if I would have to order from an Australian dealer.

Thanks.

steve gs screwed with this post 06-25-2007 at 04:25 AM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote