View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
funhouse OP
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
One of the attractions at our new home in SB was/is a 20'x50' garage (thus the name Funhouse) This pix is of #83 up on the table undergoing it's annual service......Udo Gietl, the bike's mastermind and head of BMW's racing efforts in the 70's (and Honda's in the 80's) came by one day and berated me severly for not rotating the engine 180 every month ....worse still, Phil Schilling, the guy behind the California Hot Rod (Ducati Superbike that won Daytona in '77) came by one afternoon when I was trying to bump start the bike....to no good effect. He casually asked what I thought I was doing? I explained what appeared to be obvious: "trying to start the old load-what's it look like?" He said it wouldn't start....damn, I hated that....He said it wasn't even stuttering and something was obviously amiss....."show me the wiring" I took the bubble fairing off to reveal the rat's nest of wiring inside the nacelle. Phil: "Jesus, this piece of shit beat my Ducati!!" (Phil's rider and fellow Cycle-editor Cook Neilson had, if fact, been beated for the championship and at Daytona in '76) Obviously Johnny had redone some of Udo's fine work when he campaigned the bike in '77....anyway, knowing nothing about electrics, I'd carefully removed and replaced the rat's nest during my restoration and up until Schilling showed up, it had worked. To my horror, Phil reached up and grabbed a handful of wiring and just as I blurted out "what ARE your going to do?", Phil yanked the entire mess out of the headlight shell! I was horrified. Phil: "Have you got any wire and a stripper?" In 30 minutes the bike was running......
Attached Images

funhouse screwed with this post 06-30-2007 at 05:33 PM
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote