View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #12
robdogg OP
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,727
Log of our travels

Our route for the seven day ride was developed over a six month period or so, and was derived from a combination of ride
reports, websites with historical information on the areas and of course maps – Garmin Mapsource and a Benchmark Atlas
mostly. These were augmented with National Forest maps we picked up at Ranger Stations along the way..

something I cannot recommend enough. GPS and Benchmarks don’t always cut it when your 60 miles from the nearest
anything and running low on fuel and water.

old school seat of your pants navigator/adventure types know this, but we need to make sure to pass it on to the younger
ones that go off in the deep woods with nary a decent map

Middle Fork Boise River (photo by Brent)

While we had a general route planned, we really had only three hard goals.

One: Ride off pavement as much as possible (secondarily, ride as much out of the way, gnarly 4x4 roads and get off boring
gravel roads as much as possible) We did pretty good with this one. Out of almost 1600 miles, we probably only rode
about 180 on pavement (not including transitioning to and from Pasco)

Two, we wanted to hit a few hot springs. We did ok there too.. We only hit two of them, but they were pretty nice..
especially the first one.

And Three, we came to ride the Magruder Corridor (or the Southern Nez Perce trail) and the Lolo Motorway (aka The Lewis
and Clark, aka The Nez Perce trail).. which we accomplished. I also had in mind to ride the Trail Creek rd heading east
from Sun Valley and the Double Springs Pass road that goes across a high mountain range next to Borah Peek which we also
were able to achieve.

so without further ado...

From Middle Fork to Trail Creek Summit

and..

A log of the next section of our route

After leaving the Middle Fork of the Boise River, we continued due east with the hope of finding fuel somewhere along the
way.. in Featherville maybe.. We knew it was a pretty small place, but our friend at the Twin Springs Tavern said there
was fuel to be had; if not there, then nearby, so we weren't too worried. In reality, it was a bit of a concern as my
range for a tankful of gas had dropped considerably. Where as I normally get to about 160 miles before the reserve light
comes on, the big twin was now hitting reserve at about 125-130 miles.. the high elevations, the heavy load, and my
abnormal tendency to spew gravel out of every corner was the most likely cause of such meager fuel economy. But I had a
couple of spare 33oz Aluminum fuel bottles and my pal Jerry had enough gas to spare so we pushed on in faith.

My two-wheeled, self propelled auxiliary fuel tank (thanks Jerry)

I just love the the way Idaho gives you signage like this 100 miles from the city.

Brent riding through a small Aspen grove

We were now really starting to climb and the temps were much cooler then the day before, but the air was thick and heavy
with smoke from some distant fire. I recalled reading a ride report a couple of weeks back from some Boise area riders
that mentioned Trinity Mountain and their descriptions and photos were enough for me to want to see the mountain and the
nearby Trinity Lakes, so when we reached the well marked intersection, we headed up towards the lakes.

More great signage

And a few shots of Big Trinity Lake - the pictures really don't do it justice

That water was as cold and sweet as anything I've ever tasted

From the Trinity area, we continued on to Featherville; which unfortunately had no gas, but it did have a small little
cafe that served up some great patty melts and fries. We were told there was gas 10 miles south in Pine which was perfect..
otherwise the next nearest gas was probably Mountain Home which was about 60 miles south.

After filling our tum-tums and getting the dino-juice, we continued on our eastward trek. Most of this section was fast,
open, nicely graded dirt roads without a lot of switchbacks to slow us down.

We were making good time, and I was still holding out hope for a 200 mile day, but I'd never let the route impede on us
having fun. We found a few side roads to explore and were especially jazzed if there was a creek crossing, a bit of
trail, or steep hill to climb.

Brent catches me playing on an short ATV track next to the road.

And then Brent found us an awsome, steep, rocky hill to climb. (near some place called Dollarhide)

SAAWEEET!

but enough playing.. it was getting well in to mid afternoon, and we'd barely traveled just a bit over 100 miles. I was
beginning to give up hope of making Morgan Creek (which was about another 100 miles) so we high tailed to Ketchum (which
is not really worth talking about much in the context of this adventure) and on up the Trail Creek Rd.

But we did see some amazing country on the way to Ketchum.

Can you see the ad for this place? Slight fixxer upper with good views and lots of privacy!

Trail Creek Rd. is pretty amazing. In my book, it ranks up there with some of the great roads in Colorado and Utah that
I have ridden - at least in terms of scenic beauty, like the road up Evens Peak near Denver, Trail Ridge Rd through
Rocky Mt. National Park, and hwy 12 in Utah except this road is dirt for most of the way. It was a shame the thick layer
of smoke kept the views from being even more spectacular so as it turned out, we only got had a few photo ops along the
way to the summit.

Looking West back towards Sun Valley

hmmmm!

ok kids.. that's it for tonight.. tomorrow we get really high (no, not like that) as we cross over Double Springs Pass
rd, we also discover that Jerry Garcia is not really dead. He's living life as a goat herder in the mountains along
Meadow Creek North of Challis, and we find that there are still places in America where you have to literally hand-pump
your own gas.
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums

robdogg screwed with this post 08-04-2007 at 08:00 PM
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote