View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #14
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,742
Stonewall had recommended getting an early start for getting up Silver Canyon on Sunday, so I started out from the Laws Museum at 7:00am. Apparently that was too early for most, but I decided to take advantage of the shade and cool temperatures.

I took an easy pace, figuring I would wait or turn back if there was anything I didn't feel comfortable doing alone. I stopped for lots of photos, all the while listening to hear if any other riders were catching up behind. I even picked whatever trash I spotted on the road, including a nice four inch nail like bar that might have found it's way into someones tire (did I mention I was taking my time?).

The canyon stayed in the shadows as I made through the eight water crossings. Even without much recent rain, the crossings were deeper than most of us had expected. The crossings are "ponded" a bit to cut down on the current, so even if the stream is just trickling the pond is still there where the road crosses.

As I cleared the top there was still no sign of bikes below; dust or noise. I took about an hour to reach the end of Silver Canyon Road. It really can't be done any slower unless someone is blocking the road...

My tracks and photos at GPXchange.com

sandiegoland screwed with this post 05-31-2009 at 09:28 PM
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote