View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 04:53 AM   #5
MichaelJ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Hired bikes from Moto Mader in Oberentfelden, Switzerland (about 50km west of Zurich). Two weeks on a 1200GS ran CHF 2,240 with 300km/day allowance.

I was somewhat concerned about only having 3,900kms allowed for the trip, but when we turned the bikes back in, we had only used 3,000kms - my friend's riding style is VERY different from mine

I did book into a hotel in Andermatt for the first 4 nights, as I wasn't sure just how well they travelled and handled jet lag. Andermatt is a good base and a short ride from the rental agency. Normally, I only book my last night - I don't want to be dragging my baggage around looking for a hotel after I turn the bike in.

Usually, I find out where I'm going to stay for the night when I get there. I work to schedules all year long, and the LAST thing I want when on vacation is another schedule to follow.

Two weeks of hotels ran right at US$1,000 for me (I like to be comfy) - single room w/breakfast normally. We did rooms with half-pension for about 5 nights which increased the overall average.

About 15 liters of gas daily - 20 - call it US$600 for two weeks of gas, food and incidentals (tolls, souveniers, etc.).
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote