View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,524
Ok, how about some slightly more scenic shots?

It was good having the van down there to get around and take whoever wanted to go with me. One day I took my mom and my niece Raven out to the south end of the island to a place called Point Davison or Point D. Awesome. Raven is the youngest daughter of my Ducati 748 riding brother, Corbin. They and my dad are all part of the Native dance group Lepquinm Gumilgit Gagoadim that had flown down from Anchorage for the festivities. It was Raven's first time to Southeast Alaska.

We also stopped at a beach on the way back into town. My mom has had both knees replaced and was very glad to be getting around. Raven came back with a bunch of beach glass.

My mom said she remembered when this was still a usable dock! She once had to board a boat from here to go to Ketchikan for the delivery of my other brother Steven. LOT'S of history in these here parts. Besides ALL aircraft having to land on the island on their way north the Coast Guard also used to have a huge base here.

We also took the relatively new boardwalk out to the renowned Sand Dollar Beach.

On our first of three visits to the beach, the wind was calm which allows the ocean water to warm up to a very enjoyable temperature. So warm that Raven, a hot weather girl from New Mexico didn't even want to get out!

Oh oh. Is that Comet bringing something this way?

ANOTHER stick?!?!

GIVE ME THAT STICK!!!

Raven, Comet, and I also took another boardwalk up Yellow Hill just outside of town. A geologist told me that Annette Island is very unique in the area for its extreme mineral diversity. There are plans to mine a high grade marble from another part of the island. Yellow hill is a mineral that is gray in color till it weathers and turns yellow.

That profile on the edge of the mountain is know as 'Washington's Nose'.

Looking north at Metlakatla. Ketchikan is about 16mi around the point.

Next, we'll hit the water. Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 02:03 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote