View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #18
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicly
Yeah I have glanced at the versys, but it just really isn't appealing to me. The Vdtrom seems like the bike, but I am a little nervous about the "big bike" feel. I am only 5'11" and 145lbs. It is a 650, looks like a liter and feels like an 800. The beemer, looks like a 650 but feels like a 400 or something. I am a new rider, so now that we have established that they are both great bikes, with the beemer havinga few more draw backs lets change the focus from bike to rider for a moment. I read on the stromtropper forum that the V may not be the best first bike. Better yet it may not be the best bike for commuting on crappy skinny local roads. Now as mentioned I do want to be able to go to TN/NC four five times a year (about an 8 hour ride minding the limit) and this seems to really be the thing that keeps pointing me towards the V. I don't see myslef making good time on the f650, where with the V I would probably just keep going. So to make a long story short....
For a new rider what trade of should I make from a safety perspective? Better long distance comfert or better in town "flickability"?
Thanks a lot guys for all the info, your kind support and info is part of what makes me want to be a part of the motorcycling community....now if I could only get jazz musicians to get together and help each other out like that!
I'm 5'7''. I sat on a Wee at the dealer and it felt like a really big bike, not that much different than the 1k. One thing I really like is the compactness of the F650. Right now I'm riding it more than my TDM900 (which is a similar size to the Wee) because it's just so easy to chuck around corners, pull wheelies on, etc. Like a motard only comfortable. Got 63mpg the other day despite a "spirited" pace
It's an extremely comfortable bike. All day rides are no problem and I'd have no problem taking it on multi-day trips (Heck, Striking Viking rode his around the world). That said, if I was carrying a passenger and their luggage, I'd want a bigger bike.
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 08-27-2007 at 10:31 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote