View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,031
Laugh a little Nova Scotia tour

Day 1

MA to NB

After a lot of talk, but surprisingly little planning it was time to go see Nova Scotia. We had the tour book and a map, and of course the Garmin. The plan was to camp (because we’re cheap bastards) and not take the ferry (see above). Bikes all packed up and ready to go:

We left Metro-West around 9:00 or so in the morning, missing most of the morning rush. It was a pretty uneventful slab up through Mass, NH and into Maine. When we got as far as Brunswick we jumped onto route 1. Stopped in a nice place in Waldoboro and had lunch, and resumed our trip. Arrived at the new Penobscot Narrows Bridge:

Have I mentioned Mercury loves bridges?

Pretty cool bridge though, it has an observatory at the top of one of the towers. Also saw this plaque:

looks like the Brits had a few go their way for a while eh?

Anyway, back on the road, slogging towards the border. We got off route 1 around Bucksport and headed towards route 9. The border crossing was a breeze (the female Canadian border guard was stunning! Should have snapped her pic). We decide to press on a bit into
New Brunswick, and follow signs for the Kiwannas Camp Ground at St. Andrews. The town of St. Andrews is pretty nice, sort of Victorian looking, grocery store, beer store…. What more do you need? We set up camp and break out the beers & cook up some burgers.

Merc had managed to bang up his leg stowing the XR away…so after a day on the bike it’s time to have a look:

dumb shit

end of day 1, about 370 miles in the book

Day Two
NB to NS

next morning with coffee made I get a “proper English breakfast treat” (according to Merc anyway….) a “bacon butty” or at least that sounds like what he’s saying.

assembled

so full of OJ, Starbucks coffee & bacon fat… it’s time to hit the road

We stop in St. John to see the Reversing Falls

(not much happening right now).
Do a couple of glamour shots:

and

and then hit the road

The Garmin has an interesting route planned for us, hugging the Fundy shore, versus going back towards the highway. We figure this’ll be hot shit, and we’re not in a big hurry so off we go.

Merc does his “no rain prayer” and it seems to be working

after St. Martin we see the tide is out

and loads of other cool sites

we get to a toll booth…. Hmm and I stop to talk to the girl. I explain we’re just “passing through” trying to avoid paying the toll and she says “oh, you’re following your GPS. You can’t go through.” I guess the road goes about 17km, then we’ll need to turn and come out (no bridge over the Salmon River is one possible reason). Mercury expresses his feeling towards Garmin & MapSource

and we hit the road again

stopping for gas in Moncton, we run into a nice guy on a KLR. He had a brand new TKC 80 strapped to the back, and was just back from Newfoundland. Said he reads ADV rider sometimes, so if you read this.. “nice meeting you”. We hit the trans-Canada for Nova Scotia and pull off onto route 6, the Sunrise Trail. Our plan was to try and make it as far as Pictou, but with the sun starting to set, it didn’t seem doable. We decided to look for the first camp sign we saw. We came into a small town called Pugwash, and stopped at the local grocery / NSLC. Nice guy gave us directions to the campsite about 7 miles out of town. We decided to head out there and get setup then figure out food and drinks afterwards.

The sign said “7 miles” and of course I didn’t check my odometer, so you know how it is, the sun is starting to set, you’re leading but not quite sure you didn’t miss a turn or a sign…. Doubt creeps in. So I stop and say “we must have gone more than 7 miles”. Merc says, well, we’ll go to that hill, then turn around”. We go to the hill, and there’s the campsite! Nicely done!

Ready to unpack

the setup

we head into town, get some dinner & grab beers & Scooby snacks and get back in time for a really nice sunset

so, after half a dozen beers or so, it starts to rain (they said it might) and we hit the tents.

end of day two, another 305 miles in the book.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.

g容g screwed with this post 08-28-2007 at 06:01 AM
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote