View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
g®eg OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,042
Day four
Port Hawkesbury to Meat Cove

We had originally thought we would get out to Meat Cove by the end of day three. The rain had put paid to that idea, and in the end it was just as well. Originally we had just thought to do the Cabot Trail, but now we had more time to explore, so we chose the Fleur-de-Lis trail to Louisbourg.

First things first…. I introduce Merc to a proper Canadian breakfast

and butter tarts (no pics of the first one.. he scarfed it down so fast!)

the roads are pretty much empty, nice hills and sweepers.. NO CARS!

Merc still shock testing that camera

Stopped near Gabarus Bay, Fleur-de-Lis Trail.

We make it to the fortress at Louisbourg, but decide not to go in. Spotted this German tagged GS

I wonder if that’s “final drive gear oil” strapped to his right side pannier

He had this cool sticker too

We decide to not ride the Marconi Trail, and head instead for the Cabot Trail. To get there we cross the Seal Island Bridge.

Remember Merc & bridges?

We hammer up the Cabot Trail (didn’t take pictures as we were having way too much fun) and finally come to a stop on an over look after Cape Smokey (IIRC) and a guy from Quebec pulls up on a new FZ1. We go over and chat for a while, and just as we’re talking his helmet blows off his seat (never a good idea to leave a helmet there) and rolls towards the cliff. Merc dives for it, but misses (he’ll not be playing goal for England anytime soon) and it rolls under the guardrail Luckily the Quebecer was quick enough to retrieve it before it went all the way down! Couple scratches.. no drama. We say our good byes, and head off.

This is where we are headed

the “best” campsite was taken…..Quelle dommage

Bursting for a piss.. is that poison oak?

Food first at the little restaurant

what do you mean the beer store is closed???

all set up

bald eagle

chillin’

as we’re just sat around enjoying the scenery a group of rowdy Beemer types pulls in. Didn’t snap any pix of them, but they were a good bunch. Turns out they were from all over, and some of them post here on ADV. Quite a collecting of bikes too, couple of GS 1200’s, an old K bike with a trailer and a R 1100 S. WE went over an chatted with them for a while and the 1100 S guy had lost one of his bags… bummer! I told him if I found it, it’d be the one on eBay including clothes!

Anyway, the story has a happy ending, turns out he got the bag back!

Quote:
Yeah I did get my bag back in Peggy's Cove. Someone had picked it up and happened to see I was missing a saddle bag. He asked me if I was missing one and what it looked like.

that guy has good karma!!

Of course after the sun goes down it starts to rain and a HUGE thunderstorm goes through. Tent was dancing all over, waves crashing below… pretty neat actually.

This is getting to be a pattern.
End of day four
260 miles more behind us.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.

g®eg screwed with this post 08-29-2007 at 05:02 AM
g®eg is online now   Reply With Quote