View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Supertrapp IDS2 on '03 KTM Adventure

To those that are interested, I recently installed a Supertrapp IDS2 “quiet core” muffler on my ’03 Adventure.

Part number 611-96002 is, according to Supertrapp, actually intended for pre ’99 LC4, but by drilling a new hole approximately 7/16” above the existing hole on the “S” pipe mount, (that, or find a longer rubber mounting bracket) you can easily install it on a later bike with the stock turn signals. If no turn signals are present, no additional hole is necessary.

I currently have 8 discs installed. Jetting with the OEM BST40 carb has been changed from the stock 152.5 MJ to a 157.5 MJ in warm weather and 160 MJ in cold. The needle clip was moved down 1 from the 3rd to the 4th notch from the top. I drilled the vacuum piston ports out to .125” (1/8”).
I made a airbox side cover from 1.5MM carbon fiber plate with a port size of approximately 4 sq. inches. The bike runs quite well, sounds better than stock, but is not so loud as to attract unwanted attention on the street. Acceleration and throttle response are improved, both over stock, and with the IDS2 alone with no jetting or air box changes. Vibration is minimal and possibly slightly less than the stock bike. All impressions are based on riding at sea level to 1,000 above.
I have felt no reason to alter the low speed air or fuel jets, or the low speed fuel mix screw at this time.

For those having trouble finding main jets, they are the same as those used on the 42 HSR Mikuni sold as a performance carb for Harley-Davidsons. In other words, almost any Harley dealer or custom shop should have some.

At this point I feel that I can recommend the IDS2 for installation on a '03 640 Adventure. I will continue to make modifications and report any results.

Last note, that stainless is hard as hell, so drill slow, push hard and use drilling lubricant.

Regards,
Chris
Attached Images

creeper screwed with this post 04-27-2005 at 09:29 AM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote