View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
mhpr262 OP
it is known, dammit!

Oddometer: 2,718
Micro - Adventure through the Dolomites

Iīve always wanted to do a trip through the Alps, especially over and across all those legendary roads and passes in the Dolomites. Itīs not very hard for me to get there, as I do not live 100mls north of the first peaks. in Erding, near Munich, actually.

My only problem was that I didnīt have a proper bike. I did have a 125ccm bike for commuting, but 12hp are not ideally suited to steep alpine roads and high altitudes. I finally got around to buying a (halfway...) decent bike in autumn last year (Suzuki GS 500) and decided to tackle those mountains. Weather forecast predicted blue sky without any clouds, zero chance of rain and mild temperatures for the area I had planned to ride in.

So one fine day in mid - April I packed my bike (notice the tricked-out luggage carrying system ) and set off.

Lonely backroad, halfway to (Lake) Tegernsee.

The town of the same name is one of the most famous - and one of the most expensive - holiday resorts in Germany.

The mountains begin to rise just south of the lake

The view on the road to the Achensee:

On a viewing platform on the eastern side of the Achensee, looking south:

The legendary "Cafč Kanzelkehre", high above the valley of the (River) Inn.

The equally legendary view from the viewing platform of the Café. I photographed in an easterly direction, innsbruck lies in the same valley, but to the West.

mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote