View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
mhpr262 OP

Oddometer: 3,472
Next step was the Brenner pass. I had decided to take the old road, not the Autobahn. It´s free (unlike the Autobahn) and it´s waaay more fun! This foto was taken from the very beginning of this road. We´re looking back north at Innsbruck here.

Just a few kilometers further, we´re crossing underneath the old "Europabrücke", the tallest bridge of its sort in the world when it was built, if I´m not mistaken.

Halfway up the Brenner road, looking back north. The viaduct on the left is the Autobahn, a bit of "my" road can be seen on the right.

The Brenner pass itself is very unspectacular, just a straight broad road with dirty and ugly factory buildings on both sides, therefore no photos.
Just south of Sterzing you have to choose between staying on the Brenner Road or trying the Jaufenpass that will take you to Bozen via Meran, or the Penser pass, which will take you there through the Sarntal. I chose the Penser. This is the famous rock formation at the beginning of the pass road.

I´m climbing higher...

and higher....(notice how the sun is getting more and more glaring the higher I get)

...all the way to the top. If you look closely at the grey sky or the dark asphalt, you can see the falling snowflakes. Don´t let the sun blind you.

The other side of the pass. A view into the Sarntal (Valley of the Sarn). You can just make out the road leading down. Rather boring, no pictures. Besides, I found it a bit hard to move my fingers and take out the camera, due to the mild temperatures that had made my fingers a bit stiff.

mhpr262 screwed with this post 09-01-2007 at 12:51 PM
mhpr262 is online now   Reply With Quote