View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
mhpr262 OP
Summer is coming

Oddometer: 3,188
After breakfast I rode back north again, on the old Brenner road that would have taken me south to Bozen had I not taken the Penser road "behind" (south of) Sterzing. In Klausen you have to turn east, on the road to St. Ulrich (Ortisei in Italian, that part of Italy and the people there are more German/Austrian in practice than it is Italian).

This is the official beginning of the "Große Dolomitenstraße", the "Grand Dolomite Road"!

Almost arrived at the first great pass, the "Sellajoch" here, I look back (not in anger)

Skiing and motorcycling are hobbies that manage to be both relaxing and physically hardening. should have brought my skis!

And down again on the other side:

Next stop: the Pordoi pass. Nice icicles.

And once again, down the other side towards Cortina d`Ampezzo (where the james Bond movie was shot)

This last stretch was a real killer. The distance doesn´t look much on the map, but it´s 45 miles of 2nd and 3rd gear twisties at low speed, slippery, wet road, and consistently downhill, which means you have to brake all the time. if my hands hadn´t been so numb from the cold, they would have been screaming. Halfway, I found this inn by the road, and a cup of tea restored most of my vital functions. Careful when you duplicate the tour, the innkeeper has the meanest, oldest, ugliest ChowChow you´ve ever seen. Was so arthritic it could hardly sit down, but the bloody thing still almost took my hand off when I tried to pet it...

From Cortina d´Ampezzo I rode north to Toblach. Rain started to pour down after half the distance, and it kept raining until Lienz. Originally, I had planned to take the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße back to Zell am See and Kitzbühel, but after a few kilometers I saw a large sign by the road announcing the road was still closed. Probably a good thing, too, in hindsight at least. I was probably too exhausted to attempt that road safely. I took the Felbertauernstraße with the famous tunnel instead.

Then home again. Rest is rather boring. Hope you enjoyed the trip a bit, despite the lousy weather. Perhaps the exotic location made up for it a bit in my first ride report attempt. I´m sure to repeat the trip in the not-too-far future, hopefully with the sun shining.

Goodbye and good luck, ride safely.
Greetings from Germany,
Martin

mhpr262 screwed with this post 09-01-2007 at 11:59 AM
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote