View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #15
arcticIndian OP
indian rider

Oddometer: 239
Well.. I got lost in Reykjavik after having dinner at my brother's sister inlaw's house..and rode around in Reykjavik for a while before finding the house where I was staying.
At 0600 it was time to get up, and put on the riding gear again for the ride to Landmannalaugar.
Matti, my brother's brother in law, picked up the rest of the guys in the rockband Solstafir and we then went out on the road towards Landmannalaugar.
The chief bluesmoke got a 23tooth front sprocket for this trip, usually I run a 25t. To keep the oil consumption down, I would guess below 100km/h is the proper constant speed. But here we were doing 110-115 km/h..
After the first gas stop we had to reduce the speed a bit, since the engine was using oil.
I have been riding in strong winds before, but nothing like this. And the wind was head on.. for 2-3 hours. It really was a pain for both the engine and myself, at times it was impossible to keep 60mph.
I longed for a windscreen..
After a while we hit the gravel roads, but kept a steady 90-100km/h since it was a rather smooth gravel road.
The strong winds had increased the fuel consumption to around 1 litre per 10 kilometer. So I was running out of fuel again. Instead of entering Landmannalaugar, I had to continue to the north side where there is a gaspump. The 5litre jerry can saved the day again.

Landmannalaugar was one of the main things I wanted to see in Iceland, and I went to Iceland to ride gravel roads.
Since I had some kind of backup now, I decided to ride on the limits.
Just to see how much the old Chief bluesmoke would take.. without hurting myself of course.
These old bikes are tougher than most people think today... they didn't have all the smooth paved roads back then. And my bike is a military issue, and they had a really hard time back then.
The road into Landmannalaugar had coarse gravel, rocks, potholes everywhere.. so the bike was jumping all over the place while I was trying to focus on the smoothest paths. Fun, fun:):)
Then I broke the chainadjuster.. and shot some pictures...

arcticIndian screwed with this post 09-05-2007 at 01:02 AM
arcticIndian is offline   Reply With Quote