View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 541
Pre-trip Planning and Inspection

Usually I don’t do either I just leave, but because pride and joy was coming along riding shotgun a certain amount of parental prudence was necessary. Buddy Fat Bastard (ex excellent adventurer who has given it up for golf) Suggests that as I am going through the desert my coolant level should be reviewed. This disturbed me because I suppose I always knew the bike had coolant but had never checked it. After a little furrowing of the brow and some sloppy new math I came up with the number 17. 17 years since the anti-freeze was installed in Japan, god why didn’t check this earlier? I looked in the resevoir NOTHING (hyperventilate), looked in the radiator and someone had replaced the antifreeze with restaurant grade Coca-Cola™ syrup (conniption). T minus 21 hours till blast off and I had a marginal situation on my hands. I impatiently kicked off the shroud covering the radiator and chiseled out the remaining coolant and replaced it with fresh. There ready to go.
Threw all my crap and his crap in the luggage and went to work for the final day.

There is nothing can stop time in its tracks like having a loaded bike at home on your last day of work. I endured. Departure time at home was 4 o’clock.

This picture was taken just after I had kicked off the front lower radiator cowling. I pray to god no one from the Pacific Coast web site sees this or I will be lynched. The mere breaking off of a tab sends them into a state of apoplexy.

ap·o·plex·y (āp'ə-plěk'sē) Pronunciation Key
n.
  1. Sudden impairment of neurological function, especially that resulting from a cerebral hemorrhage; a stroke.
  2. A sudden effusion of blood into an organ or tissue.
  3. A fit of extreme anger; rage: "The proud . . . members suffered collective apoplexy, and this year they are out for blood" (David Finch).

vermin screwed with this post 12-28-2007 at 12:47 PM
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote