View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
Yellowknife ice trucking

Iíve been in touch with a moderator, hoping that I could put this in ĎRide Reportsí, but unfortunately because my KLR is hibernating October to April, I canít really pretend that this has anything at all to do with adventure riding. It is adventure, however Ė itís just adventure trucking.

This story takes place February and March each year, when I drive the ice roads from Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, to the gold and diamond mines along the Tibbett to Contwoyto Winter Road. I havenít seen it, but I gather that thereís a series about the ice road on TV right now. Someone even said it was #1 in the ratings in the U.S. Well, I ordered the DVD from The History Channel yesterday, so Iíll be able to check it out soon enough.

I noticed that many of the threads about Yellowknife mention the ice road, so I thought Iíd post some pics. I kinda wanted to do a story about one trip, but all my pics are jumbled up in no order whatsoever. I did 21 trips my first season (Diavik, BHP and Lupin), and then either 16 or 19 my second season (Snap Lake, Diavik and BHP).

I drove the í05 and í06 seasons, but took last year off (as I will do this year) while Iím at school. 2009 I hope to have my own rig, but Iíll be driving again whatever happens. This job has everything I ever wanted in it, other than cheerleaders. I live for this job!

Ok, Iíve never posted any pics here before so Iíll try a little experiment, and write/post some more soon. A word of warning Ė you might want to wear some warm clothes to read this thread. The very first trip I ever did, when I got to Diavik it was -87c with the windchill. Hold on, Iíll go online and convert that into Farenheit: ok, itís -124F. Thatís no exaggeration. It was cold, believe me!

Here goes with some pics.

When the ice is really sketchy they slow us right down to 15 or even 10 kmh. We're all paid by the trip, so it really hurts to have to slow down at all. It breaks my heart every time I see one of these signs!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1190142767

Some of these loads are massive. I've hauled heavy equipment up there, but they never had to take it apart so it would fit on my trailer! I took this pic just 'cos it was cool, then found out that a writer from Maxin magaazine was riding in this truck. Bastard could have dropped a few of the Maxim girls off at dispatch for the rest of us to take as passenegers!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1190142904

And one more for now 'cos I'm still just experementing with uploading pics. Do they need to b bigger? Smaller? I'm only allowed to upload one at a time so it takes a while. This one is pretty self explanatory, I think.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1190143029
1202 is diesel fuel. I carried it in 45 gallon drums to the Lupin gold, literally just metres from the Arctic Circle. Who can say they drove big rigs into the circle across frozen lakes?

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote