View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,490
Hatcher Pass, Alaska Fall Colors

This is a fun little dirt road just north of Anchorage that we often recommend to riders that come up for a visit. It runs between Willow on the Parks Hwy and Palmer on the Glenn Hwy.

I'd only done the road from East to West and wanted to do it the other way. The day was beautiful and I knew comin in from the Willow side the sun would be at my back and hopefully I'd get some good Fall color pics. I was pleased with what I got. While it is a shorter ride, I decided to do a ride report as it is such a pretty area.

Heading up north of Anchorage I've always been impressed with the grandeur of Pioneer Peak. We just had our first real dusting of the local mtns a few days ago. Yep, summer's gone. Oh well, it's still pretty.

On the West side the road parallels Willow Creek.

The Fireweed, on the left, went to seed a while ago now.

The south facing hillsides were lit up pretty well.

Met up with these two German fellows in their Unimog. Quite a rig! And you thought a KLR was TALL! I asked if they were on some 'round the world trip and they said "no, just North America."

They were parked right next to this lovely little beaver pond.

Headin farther on up.

Being at such a high lattitude, our tree line is pretty low. Gettin above the trees.

Looking South across the valley at Bald Mtn Ridge.

Looking down on the road I just came up.

Taken from up near the top.

Time for a little "self portraiture."

Summit Lake. There's someone standing on one of the big rocks on the far shore.

Getting late in the day with some long shadows. Looking down at the other side of the Pass.

Somebody missed a turn! Or were they tryin a shortcut?! No idea what really happened. Yikes.

Off in the distance is Independence Mine State Historical Park. For years I've called the paved road leading up on this side from Palmer "THE best sportbike road in Alaska!" MY fave anyway. Good times!

Headin down into the shadows.

And thus ends another lovely day of riding up in the 'Great White North'.

Man, I love it up here. Ciao, Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 10-21-2007 at 03:44 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote