View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #49
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,968
Too damn cool!

Right on - thanks Granitesun, Boxergrrlie, Fat Tony - anyone I haven't acknowledged yet. Glad you're enjoying it!

I just found these pics in a completely different folder than my other ice road pics. Go figure. I have to state, for the record, that I DID NOT TAKE THESE THREE PICS. Ok, so we're clear, right?

These were taken on the Mackenzie River crossing in Fort Providence. Although it's 310 kms south of Yellowknife, it's an integral part of the road 'cos if you can't cross the river, you can't get to YK. Any truck coming from down south has to make this crossing, and that includes any tankers loading in Hay River - which is a significant portion of the trucks on the ice road. There are clear signs stating weight limits, and this is what happens if you think you know better.

The main ice road can't open until this crossing does, and at the end of the season, when the main road closes all the hundreds of rigs from out of town make a run for it back across the river, rather than being stuck on the wrong side of it for a month. (See Commuterboy's post earlier in this thread - thanks Commuterboy).

So now you know why we stick so rigidly to the speed limits, like the sign in the first post of the thread. One more shot that I DID NOT TAKE.

So this guy made it out just fine, but not everyone does. In 2000 one of the crew building the main road went through. He made it out of the water, but his heart couldn't take the shock, and gave out. On Dec 23rd 2005 a 23 yr old Yellowknife man, while building the Prosperous Lake road 15 km outside Yellowknife, went through in his plow truck. The ice just gave way beneath him, apparently. No warning, nothing anyone could do. He never even made it out of the water. (The Prosperous Lk rd is the one I was on in my Honda when I rose up on the wave - see earlier thread.)

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker screwed with this post 09-23-2007 at 10:20 AM
squonker is offline   Reply With Quote