View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #14
DougRoost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
First, you're comparing a beast (multi-cylinder bike on this forum) to a bit more dual sport thumper (single cylinder) bike. Further, you posted in the Beasts forum, not the Thumpers forum, so I guess you're fishing for what you want to hear. The closest competitor to a F650GS is really a KTM 640 Adventure, but even that isn't too fair. The Rotax engine in that F650GS is a nice, smooth piece, especially compared to the LC4 engine in the KTM.

I've been going through the same thought process, but for an adventure bike to add to my 2 stroke dirt bike. For street only, and a little exploring, get the Versys. If you really want to ride a mix of road and some offroad (gravel roads, 2 track, occasional single track), get the F650GS. If you want to do even more offroad, land some decent jumps, etc., get the Dakar race replica KTM 640 Adventure and live with some vibes and euro backwardness of the LC4 engine.

Another indicator is tire selection and aftermarket support. The KTM runs standard size offroad tires with tubes, while the other bikes run street size tubeless tires. They all have good luggage and rack options now so in this group that's not a deal breaker.
Austin MotoSports Association www.amsaclub.org
DougRoost is offline   Reply With Quote