View Single Post
Old 02-21-2004, 07:54 PM   #20
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Oddometer: 200
New Adv Rider

Glad you started this thread...I've been waiting for a chance to post and show off my new Adventure. Long time lurker, first time poster...

Anyway, I'd been mulling over the idea of a dual-sport/adv bike for a while and finally grabbed this '03 640 Adv. It had been sitting in the shop for a while tempting me. Right after I bought it in December, the dealer sold his last one and immediately got a few more requests for them that he couldn't fill...too bad.

So far, this is what I've done to it...probably all for a while:
  • dual-star grip heaters
  • side stand (KTM)
  • tank bag (nice item...but I don't use it on all rides since it gets in the way sometimes)
  • 157.5 main jet, 47.5 pilot jet, raised the needle
  • DIY airbox cover
  • added 6 disks to the exhaust (may experiment with fewer to see if I get more low end grunt)
  • EBC semi-metalic brake pads
  • Widder batter cable/connector for my 'lectric vest (I seem to be able to get away with grip heaters and at least medium power to the vest via electronic thermostat w/o any battery drain issues on chilly highway rides)

It really smoothed out and woke up the engine to do those mods. Right now I have an oil leak coming from somewhere near the front sproket that I haven't tracked down. It's just enough to keep my chain well lubed and make a mess. I'll probably bug the mechanic at the dealer next week about it unless I can locate it. The filter cover seems tight enough.

Anyway, here are a few shots...First ride, December:

Breaking 'er in:

A few days ago...taking in the view on a day with actual sunshine (toggle to the left of the speedo is the grip heaters):

Other bikes are a KTM 450 EXC (not dual-sported), and a Triumph Sprint ST.

kurtw screwed with this post 02-23-2004 at 03:35 PM
kurtw is offline   Reply With Quote