View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #42
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960

Callejoneada: A custom originally from Spain in which a group of musicians playing horns and drums leads a band of revelers throughout the city. The group stops occasionally along the way to play and dance in the streets. There is also a Mezcal laden burro with the group and at each stop the Mezcal is served up in little cups with a string or ribbon attached so that you can wear it around your neck between stops.

I had read about callejoneadas before this trip and was hoping I would happen upon one in one of the cities we were to visit. After dinner we retired to our room about 8:30. Dick was ready for bed as we had planned an early departure in the a.m. because we had a fairly long day of riding ahead. It was probably not more than 300-350 miles but with a lot of twisty roads on the way to Xilitla.

I decided to go down to the bar for a beer and maybe shoot a game of pool with the bartender, who I might add, had soundly thumped Dick and I the previous night. As I was ready to head out the door I heard music in the street outside our room. When I could hear the horns and drums I knew instantly what it was. I bid Dick a quick farewell, thinking I might be gone an hour or so and he would probably be sound asleep when I returned, and dashed out the door.

I fairly sprinted around the hotel to the street where I had heard the music and caught up to them at the next stop where they were playing and dancing in the street. There looked to be maybe 75 people in the group.

Here is as short video I took with my camera when I caught up with the party.

I was snapping pics when Carlos strikes up a conversation asking me where I was from and had I ever participated in a callejoneada before. Carlos is on the left wearing the camo cap.

Between his English and my limited Spanish we were able to communicate fairly well. Carlos is from Veracruz and is in town for a solar energy conference. He was there with other college students, professors, and others in the industry from Mexico and all over the world. Here is Carlos with a couple of his new friends.

More of Carlos’ friends. He introduced me to them but I am terrible with names unless I write them down. By the time I awoke the next morning their names had escaped me. Might have had something to do with the Mezcal and cerveza.

Carlos grabbed a cup and began to pour me shots of Mezcal. I had a couple and the band took off again. We walked a couple of blocks and stopped again. All the while the band never stopped.

We repeatedly stopped, danced, drank Mezcal, and walked on for 3-4 more stops.
And the band played on.

It started raining slightly so the last stop was under the archway of the Cathedral. By this time the crowd of partygoers had grown to nearly 200 by my estimate.

Another short video taken under the arch at the Cathedral.

A group shot of some of the professors and students.

My new 4-legged friend. By this time though the Mezcal was long gone.

It was fast approaching midnight and I began to say my goodbyes to my new friends to return to my hotel. I knew I needed my rest for the next day of riding.

kennyanc screwed with this post 10-30-2007 at 08:15 PM
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote