There are two switched 12v circuits under the fairing, right? Just use one of them. You can find male Molex connectors for about $0.25 or less at a good
electronics store (not Radio Shack). Crimp some wires and plug right in.
So far I've noted that readings are pretty steady given a constant RPM. Here's some very UN
-scientific data after all of 5 hours in the saddle with the voltmeter going:
- I see 14.0v - 14.1v on avg. with no accessories running at 4k+ RPM
- When idling it drops under 14.0v but is still is more than 13.0v
- Sometimes idling it goes below 13v (yet above 12.0v)
- Heated grips on low take 0.3v - 0.4v off the top
- Heated grips on high take 0.7v
- GPS doesn't seem to draw much, if any, maybe 0.1v (?)
- Sorry I can't remember what the high beam draws (0.3v?)
- Haven't tried it with the heated vest yet
It's a worthy accessory. Tonight while I was idling in traffic (!!!) in the rain (!!!) I saw it dip below 12.0v so I shut off my grips.