Thread: On Mexican Time
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #39
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,422
The Run to San Carlos

Near the border, going in the opposite direction, we saw this:

They were lining up to get inspected at the military check point. So long was the line, that vendors have set up shop to sell water and eats to the drivers.

Shortly after the dance at the aduana, I passed the group to head out on my own to San Carlos.

Here's Alejo giving me the go sign:

Not too long after I took off, U.K. Peter trailed in right behind me. We rode together all of the way down the highway to the Sea of Cortez.

The route:

Right below Hermosillo, at that first black arrow, is Guaymas and San Carlos.

The first thing you notice pulling into San Carlos are the impressive twin peaks of the Cerro Tetakawi. Here is the money shot from the mirador:

It seems like the mountain is giving the advrider salute:

San Carlos is a somewhat sleepy fishing and tourist spot, with a lot of gringos who come down from the north especially in the winter.

There were boats all over the place:

Here is the entire area:

Our hotel was on the crecent shaped beach on the left. The Cerro Tetakawi can be seen in the middle, and the main part of town at the right along Blvd Beltrones. Someone cut me off on that strip and I dropped the bike. I didn't get pictures but don't worry, I dropped the bike on the way to Divisadero and I have photos of that.

The next day we saddled up and met for breakfast At Doña Rosa's on Blvd Beltrones. Its a cool place that really caters to everyone.

From left: Scotland Steve, U.K. Pete, Bruce, and Colorado Carl and Karen:

Edit! Hey, check out Alejo giving the advrider salute above while giving the waitress a hug! I just caught that!

As soon as we finished eating, it was time to saddle up and bust out of San Carlos and head for Alamos.

Tiger Bob ready to go:

Bruce was in the lead out of town. You can see everybody else in the mirror:

Colorado Carl:

U.K. Pete on a rental VStrom

Scotland Steve on another rental VStrom:

I tried to get pics of the others leaving San Carlos, but I either chopped their heads off or took pics of my knees. I don't have the skills that Shoganai has in taking pics on the bike yet. It took me until the Gran Vision highway to get the whole process nailed down.

Like I said before, there wasn't a single drop of rain or any significant cloud cover the entire time in Mexico. Late October is a WONDERFUL time of year to travel there.

It was a very relaxing day cruising on over to Alamos. I'll get to that in a bit....

tricepilot screwed with this post 11-26-2007 at 11:14 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote