Thread: On Mexican Time
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #72
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,289
Alamos!

About twelve miles southeast of San Carlos we passed through Guaymas and hit the tollway, Mex 15, through Cuidad Obregon and down to Navojoa, roughly 115 miles from Guaymas.

It was nice and warm in Mexico!:

Here, you simply head east From Navojoa on Mex 13 to Alamos.

I break out the Guia Roji, which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND, even if you use a GPS:

And check out the map. Alamos is just about 30 miles east of Navojoa:

Alamos is a sleepy little town that appears to be what San Miguel de Allende might have been back in the '60s.

I pulled in and dumped some stuff from the bike at the hotel:

...Which was very close to the plaza de armas and the church. I grabbed my camera and took off...

Snapping pics of the courtyard on the way out:

By the way, I always walk around with one of these little gems in my pocket:

It will give you spanish to english, english to spanish, and conjugate all the verbs in all the tenses, plus provide commands and a ton of other useful stuff. I have not been to Mexico without it, in any situation. This and my camera are all I need when I go exploring. And exploring is why I come to Mexico.

There is a book about the doors themselves of San Miguel D.A. There are just as many interesting carved doors in Alamos:

Down at the Plaza de Armas is the beautiful Catedral Nuestra Señora de la Concepción (finished in 1804) and square, a combo that is the charmer of many pueblos in Mexico:

The same catherdral from the perspective of the mirador on Cerro de Perico. Its steep cobblestones all the way to the top of the mirador - fun! :

Not sure about these guys who came right by:

At the end of the 1600's, silver was discovered near Alamos, and the silver mines gave rise to the town.

I tucked into a doorway and found this little scene:

And then darted down this alley right off the Plaza:

And found myself in the market area:

I walked in and out of severl dozen shops and talked with the locals to keep my spanish up to speed:

All of the ways to pick up the language, nothing works like throwing it out there with all the mistakes and goofs, and not caring if its perfect or not. The lovely people of Mexico appreciate the effort, and even a rudimentary knowlege of the language from a phrase book will take you pretty far. The more you know, the more fun exploring is.

The gang was gathering back at the hotel:

(This is, I believe, the last known photograph of Canada Dave I's 1974 Harley flathead in working condition. Tomorrow, the motor would blow up underneath him on Mex 15)

It was time to relaxe with a botella de vino tinto and think about dinner. I'll be right back with Phase II of Alamos, including the most amazing hacienda and a discovery by serendipity that I never would have expected.

Got to go catch my breath for a moment.

Ya regreso...

Bob

tricepilot screwed with this post 11-27-2007 at 02:51 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote