Thread: On Mexican Time
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #76
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,060
Mrs Tricepilot and Tricepilot son, daughter #2 and daughter #3 are all black belts in taekwondo and they're off on the other side of San Antonio practicing as I write this. They concentrate on martial arts, I study spanish:

O.K. so at this juncture in Alamos its getting towards dinner, and I'm hanging around outside our hotel and run into an expat named Richard.

Richard begins to tell me about his life in Alamos as an expat with his wife and two daughters, who are completely bilingual and in fact go to a Mexican school.

Richard then proceeds to tell me about the house he bought 6 years ago, relatively cheap, and how he's fixing it up.

Then he tells me it used to belong to Mary Astor (I didn't know who that was right away, but hang on) and in fact, his house is right up the block, next door to the house still owned by Carroll O'Connor - Archie Bunker from All in the Family!

Turns out Mary Astor appeard in The Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart and did 123 other films from 1921 to 1964 but her star faded towards the end of her career. You can go to imdb.com or google her for more info if you want.

So before dinner, I get the invite to check out the renovations on the house, and off I go.

The Tricepilot moto at Mary Astor's place, er, I mean Richard's place:

Richard is making this into a casita - small guest house:

I don't know how you can get ahold of the O'Connor residence if you want to be Richard's neighbor, but if you come to Alamos for real estate you might want to check out the grand palace of the whole town, right across the street, which is for sale:

Looking through the gate:

This is the street, with Richard's place on the left, the white house, and the hacienda for sale behind the wall on the right.

O'Connor's place is behind Richard's on the left.

The for sale sign if you want to spend some trust fund money (because you'll need that kind of money I'm sure to get this place):

I never would have found any of this out save for the fact that Richard was picking up food at the restaurant next door to our hotel and the conversation flowed after just saying hello...serendipity pays off again....

O.K. Alejo was very excited by the place we were all going to dinner tonight so I had to be back by 7 for the short walk around the corner from the hotel to Hacienda de los Santos.

I won't give any superlatives for this place other than to let you check out the website for the place and you can decide for yourself:

http://www.haciendadelossantos.com/

Also, Alejo's camera was much better than mine and he is a much better photographer, so I'm sure he'll chime in here with some of the better photos of the place.

This is Will and his wife of 30+ years at the table next door being serendaded by the house band:

The woman on the right in the first picture above with the band is the daughter of the owner of the place, and the guy she is with is the head of the band and someone who became her husband. So, he stands to own the place someday!

I think this was Alejo's flan:

These are their recommended tequilas:

This was certainly the high water mark of places to eat on the trip. I am more comfortable on a regular basis with simple mom and pop places to eat, but a place like this once in a blue moon was a heck of a treat!

The next day back up on the mirador for one final look over the city of Alamos:

The sunrise over the Alamos area, as we get ready to head for El Fuerte soon..

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote