View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 12:16 AM   #12
1NiteOwl OP
Office Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Answers to some questions

Duckbill/ Martynbiker: I am sure that snow and riding in it (or avoiding it) is quite common in the northern part of the US and northern Europe. For us in sunny South Africa it's quite a novelty, however, and Lesotho is the nearest place to get some experience of riding in these conditions. This year, we had a pretty cold winter and most of the trip was at sub-zero temperatures. Heated grips would've been cozy, but layering of the clothes (including gloves) worked well enough.

Riderbob: there are good surfaced roads from Johannesburg all the way to Lesotho. The nearest town is Fouriesburg, about 340 km from Johannesburg. At the legal speed limit (120 km/h) this can be covered in less than 3 and a half hours, including a fuel/coffee stop. It's worthwhile trawling through the Golden Gate national park while you are in the area, however, as the sandstone formations are quite spectacular. PM me if you would like more details.

Carnivore: The entire resurfacing project up Sani Pass is planned in three phases and scheduled for completion in 2009 (you may guess the month, nobody's committing to a date). The first phase of 14 km from the Himeville road to Good Hope is in progress. The second phase is the next 11 km to the present SA Border Post, which will be moved to Good Hope. The last 8 km is Sani Pass itself, which will undoubtedly be the most difficult. R25M of the R160M for the project has been budgeted for this financial year, so presumably the bulk will need to be spent after March 2008. My bet would be that the Pass itself will still be unspoilt in 2008.
1NiteOwl is offline   Reply With Quote