Thread: Latin America!
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Seguin
Just hoping you're gonna do a road test in Colombia and Guatemala for me...
The road from San Cristobal de las Casas to Comitan is fantastic. High- 6000 to 8000 feet, and twisty, and good pavement as long as you stay on it. From Comitan to the crossing at La Masilla it's still good. Thanks to pilot for the recomendation- crossing into Guatemala was a breeze. It felt like a real frontier type of place. Wild West.

We made Huehuetenango by 5 and had to quit for the day. I was up for trying to reach Lake Atitlan, but riding in the dark in Guatemala probably isn't a good idea. Now we're in Solola, Guatemala.

Today we were almost held-up by banditos (some witnesses called them Ladrones), and my front brake is leaking. Other than that the weather is awesome and the riding is beautiful. The food is good and cheap. The beer (gallo) tastes like water. Or am I that thirsty?

This truck had just tipped over. By the time we got stopped, someone else had gotten the driver out and put him in the backseat of a car. I made them move the car because gas was pouring onto the pavement- Va a explotar! I said, but it didn't. I did a rapid body survey and palpated sharp pain in the lower lumbar, and upper abdomen on both sides. I got help to lie him down in the back seat and told him to lie very still. His pulse was 120 and a little thready. Not good. A cop showed up and I told him he needed to get the driver to the hospital ASAP. The cop said an ambulance was on the way. I did not want them to wait for an ambulance, but I'm not arguing with a Guatemalan cop. Then Barb and I noticed three men walking toward us- two with pistols drawn, one carrying a shotgun. Go Quickle, I said. Barb said I AM. So we walked, mounted up, and left. But just before we noticed the bad guys, one of the other witnesses said that the driver had been assaulted by ladrones, he tried to evade them, and ended up rolling his truck. He's fucked.

Landslides!

This was trying to park this darn big thing.

bananaman screwed with this post 01-17-2008 at 03:53 PM
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote