View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #64
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
I think it can be nice in summer, to sit here in the shade, while the Duomo towers over everything. Have a proper lunch, rounding it off with some Gorgonzola and a glass of powerful red wine to keep it company. Then a sigar.
Stop that, I have work to do:)

OK, now that you mention it I'll tell you a few of my favorite places in Florence. You've mentioned a few. Namely the Uffizi, the Piti Palace the Medici palace (Piazza della Signoria where the David copy stands today) and the Ponte Vechio. The art in the Uffizi and the Piti Palace has to be seen to be believed. I'm guessing that it is the largest collection of Renaissance art in Italy featuring the works of Michelangelo, de Vinci and Botticelli.

Next time you are there (itís only a half a day to get there for you) just behind the Duomo is a small church called Santa Croce filled with frescos by Giotto. When you walk through the doors on your right is the tomb of Michelangelo. He asked to be buried there so that he could watch the angels fly over the Duomo or something like that. Next on your right is the tomb of Machiavelli. Across to your left is the tomb of Galileo (of Pizza fame of course). The original statue of the David is located at the Academia about six block from the Duomo in the direction away from the river Arno if I remember correctly. The original Baptistery doors (done by Pisano) from the Duomo are also on display there.

Just around the corner from the Duomo is the best Trattoria in all of Italy in my opinion. I forget the name of it but there was a leather store near the Duomo called "David2". If itís still there, the owner pointed us to it. He is a relative of the Trattoria owner.

I could spend weeks in that town and never run out of things to see and do. Hell, I could spend the rest of my life wandering around Italy and never run out of things to see and do.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote