View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
mhpr262 OP

Oddometer: 3,547
Shot from a field behind the bed and breakfast, 1st without, 2nd with tele.

at the foot of the hill Neuschwanstein was built on is another castle, Castle Hohenschwangau. Ludwig II. used this one for practice before he went for the real thing...

More foreground to put the size into perspective:

The castle is painted in a colour that would go wonderfully with any peach flavoured ice cream...

The last stretch of road is closed to general traffic, either you walk by foot or take a horse drawn carriage.

They are a big attraction, especially with Japanese tourists. Here is a short video. (Will be added later, youtube has not yet processed...)

Closer...

Still closer...

Here i fiddled around with the exposure a little bit....

This is what Ludwig saw when he looked out of the window.

The northern part of the castle, surrounding the courtyard:

If you haver ever wondered where the phrase "to tower above somebody" comes from, here´s some illustration...

The main entrance:

The door:

A view of the inner courtyard:

A 180° view back to the gatehouse:

I didn´t go inside, as that is only possible with a guided tour, and there weren´t any as it was not the tourist season. This pretty little house stands at the foot of the hill:

I met a nice middle aged guy on holiday from Ontario there who was much interested in my motorcycle. he told me he was a rider himself, but had sold his Kawi Z 1000 last year to a young man who "rode off into the sunset with it", as he told me a bit wistfully. He also told me he had seriously thought about moving to Germany a couple of times, but apparently immigration is not so easy.

From Füssen I went south, as I had planned to ride along the Plansee to Ettal and then back again.

mhpr262 screwed with this post 01-19-2008 at 08:31 AM
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote