View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
mhpr262 OP

Oddometer: 3,572
a little church just outside of Reutte:

Just behind Reutte, the snow began...

For some reason that I cannot for the life of me remember now, I kept thinking "I am committed now" and "it will get better soon". Well, it didn´t. That was the first time I had ridden on snow and I was abit uneasy, to say the least. i feathered my clutch and throttle like I´d never done before...

The Plansee, also frozen over.

The whole road was like this, all 20 or more miles of it.

With the sun out, it could actually look quite pretty:

The feathering paid off, and I made it through without dropping the bike. I had a nasty moment, however, when the front tire almost wiped out on an iced over part. That one left a fair sized pucker mark on my seat cover. Oh, and have I already mentioned how glad I was I wasn´t doing this trip with the 1250 Bandit...

Halfway on this road is another of Ludwig´s castles, Schloss Linderhof, the only one he actually lived in. I didn´t visit it however, as it was already getting dark and I hadn´t packed my normal glasses, only my shades. I´m going to leave that one for another ride report, I think...

This is what you see at the end of the road:

Aye, Ettal with its famous monastery and Oberammergau with the Passion of Christ festivities shown only once a decade.

I did a little detour for the monastery:

It was actually much darker, but somehow I had managed to get the exposure just right. *grinningproudlylikeidiot*

And the farewell shot:

Too bad the picture doesn´t quite manage to bring the mood and the lighting across properly. The ride home was rather uneventful, so no more photos.

As a somewhat longer lasting memory of this trip I caught a cold during the way home I think, and am typing this with my sinuses close to bursting and with aching head and joints...was it worth that? Hell yes!
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote