View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #55
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 519
Puerto Escondido

It's as if all the juice that makes a city attractive to me was squeezed out of Acapulco and poured on Puerto Escondido.

Puerto Escondido is cute. The beaches and air are sparkly clean. There are no megahotels. The "main tourist strip" is a little cobblestone road that runs parallel to the beach (closed to vehicle traffic at 6pm) and more than half the tourists are Mexican. The non-Mexican tourists come from all over but they seem to be mostly backpackers and surfers.

Puerto Escondido has a great hostel, the Mayflower. It's the tall white building in the center of this picture. I have a room on the top (4th) floor with a king bed and a private bathroom for 250 pesos per night. Best of all, WiFi reaches everywhere.

Here's my new "office":

Turning around, this what's inside the room. Yes, that's a baby grand piano. My room is just around the corner to the left. This floor is so nice that one of the backpackers (actually a guy studying for the Minnesota bar) has started sleeping on the couch!

Joe requested more pictures of food. Here's a lunch I had at one of the nicest restaurants in town. Giant prawns stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon, and bbq'd. Fresh coconut, beer, cantaloupe. Not pictured: a small side of guacamole and glass of fresh orange juice already consumed. All together, 250 pesos (about $23US). I eat a lot of street food (yum!) but every couple days I like to splurge, and splurging really delivers in Mexico.

Oh, here was the view from my table:

I've been here three nights and I'm debating staying here for another week. There is a language school here, but they're pretty booked and the soonest I could start classes would be Saturday. And while I love this hostel, it's filled with 20-something surfers that speak fluent English. I've had hangovers two days in a row and will no longer attempt to keep up with the "kids".

Random pic of me:

stickfigure screwed with this post 01-29-2008 at 09:37 PM
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote