View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #42
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,284
It's alive!

I've made some real progress with the CB160 this weekend, culminating in a ten or twelve mile ride this morning!

I started with my last quandary: how will I get the lid off the oil filter so I can clean it out? I contemplated Mark's idea of drilling it, and making the whole lid into a makeshift puller, by tapping threads into the drilled holes, and running all-thread to the back of the filter. I decided to try again to get it off intact, by prying alternately from one side, athen the next.

I was able to work the lid off that way, without causing any damage.

There was a lot of dried crud inside, and general evidence that the filter does in fact remove particles of metal from the oil.

I had to buy a new shifter, as the original was broken. I also installed new clutch and throttle cables. I was able to free up the old brake cables by pouring light oil down the tubes.

Earlier, I had cleaned out the carbs, and reassembled them with their original gaskets, which appeared to be useable temporarily, if only to determine whether the engine had major problems.

The wiring seems to be intact, with the exception of battery cables, both of which were missing. I snagged a cable off a parts bike and grounded it to the frame to act as a temporary negative cable. I pulled the three-foot long cable off the starter, and ran it from the battery + to the solenoid. I had determined previously that the starter is not working, so my first attempts to start the bike would be with the kick starter. (CB160s had both kick and electric starters)

After hot wiring the ignition, since I have no key for it, I was ready to give it a try. I checked the points gap, which looked fine as it was. I kicked the engine over with the battery attached, and checked for spark at the points. Good! I checked for spark at the plugs too. Better!

Time for some fuel now. I ran new fuel hose from the petcock to the carbs, and for the cross-over under the tank. I put the tank back in place, and added fuel. After putting clamps on the petcock connections, the fuel stopped leaking.

Time to put the exhaust system back in place!

Now it's time to fire it up . (Cross your fingers!) It took a bit of hard breathing, and a whole lot of kicks, but one cylinder finally caught. It had a bit of trouble running, as it didn't want to idle on one cylinder. I pulled the fuel bowl from the carb on the left, which wasn't firing. Fuel was the problem. The bowl was dry. I had soaked the petcock in carb cleaner last weekend, but I had apparently neglected to blow air through it, as no fuel was coming through to the left carb. After cleaning out the petcock, I tried again. Success! Both cylinders now fired, though the bike still didn't want to idle. It was late at night, and I decided to wait and look at the carbs in the morning.

Morning came, and I pushed the bike outside. I gave it a kick, and to my great surprise, it fired right up, and even idled. Not well, mind you, but I'm not complaining! (Elves were apparently turning wrenches on the bike overnight.)

After fiddling with the idle air adjustment, it ran a bit better. It is a bit noisy, so a valve adjustment and cam chain adjustement are both on the schedule for next weekend. I put the footpegs back on, and took it for a spin around the yard. That went well enough, that I ventured across the road, and tried getting up some speed and shifting through the gears. There is a new development across the road, so I had a good five miles of dirt roads, where the streets wil be laid out in time. No traffic, and the whole place was mine. I rode for a good ten or twelve miles, shifted up and down and generally satisfied myself that this bike runs well enough to justify a larger investment.

Did I forget to mention that I was smiling ear to ear the whole time?

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote