View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #909
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Glad I Didn't Sell! Until It Happens To You...

Likely this might end up in the EWS/Immobilizer threadfest, perhaps not.

I [flaked] out and whimsically decided to keep my '06 1150 GS Adv...perhaps the shortest time a bike ever on the market. Wanted garage space with multiple bikes.

Coming back from Daytona Bch today riding my '07 R12GS Adv. Upon getting to my home shut off the R1200GS Adv, grabbed a cigar, started it up again[oooops] my first EWS failure.

Like many I've pooh-poohed the failure rates, especially since I've had 5 bikes with the immobilizer ring, thousands of miles and not ONE EWS failure. I was crushed. I'm guessing that until it happens to you, well, easy to pooh pooh the very low numbers and the others experiencing it.

The worst part BTW is the sick feeling that I could very well have been in Chicken, Alaska or whereever. BTW, I do have a spare that I carry with me when touring. Maybe I'll go thru the routine of figuring out how to mount it should I ever need to/or out of range of a BMW dealer.
But, the worst of all is that I will now worry. I suspect that organ transplant people are constantly vigil for signs of problems/or failures. Sorry to be a harbinger of gloom, but as I said, until it happens to you, easy to pooh pooh the problem. Interestingly, I did nothing but wait a few seconds, 're-booted' and unlike Windows blue screen of death (some will know)...ta ta back to life.

POOLSIDE, WHERE ARE YOU?
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote