View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #38
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Mexico trip 2008

Better late than never.

Jan 31-Feb 16 2008

I went to Copper Canyon w/ a group of dual sport riders from WI, MN and KS.

Bike setup: 2006 950 S ADV loaded bike in trailer w/ 26,950 miles.

Tires- New TKC 80s front and rear 150/80-18 rear. 35 psi front and rear.
Gearing- 16/45

New updates/mods since last year-

-Rekluse clutch
-Aqualline 12gal. tanks
-Modified SW motech Crash bars to fit around tanks
-Rebuilt water pump (just to ease my mind)
-Clear clutch cover R&D
-Black anodize Rack finish off road test
-SE fork springs
-Head2wind jetting and UNI air filter mod

We left Thurs night around 5pm w/ Andrew in his Tahoe and trailer. We made it to Peru IL in about 3hrs. We drove into a very bad freezing rain/ice storm and after having the truck and trailer sliding across two lanes of freeway we decided to hold up for the night. Ordered pizza and had some beers.

Fri-

We headed out around 8am and went west to try and get out of the snow belt. It added some miles but finally in MO we got to some better roads. We drove straight through to Presidio TX and got there Sat afternoon.

Stayed at Three Palms Hotel. Not a bad place.

Our original plan was to get there Fri night and ride Big Bend on Sat.

Sat-

We met up w/ Chuck. He was in TX already staying at another hotel down the road on 67. This will be his first time. Our second. I had forgotten my original title. All I had was a copy, so that night I was sweating it a lot about crossing the next morn. There were others at the hotel that could not get through w/ a copy earlier that day, so it was not looking good.

Katie (my fiance) and I decided to try at 6am (3rd shift) to try our luck. If we could not get across, we'd wait for my original to get sent down and catch up w/ the group in a few days, not the end of the world, just a pain.

Sun- Cloudy and 50F

We get to the Presidio/Ojinga border around 6:30.

Papers/Items needed to cross.

-Passport( makes life much easier, everyone will need one soon anyways )
-Original bike title
-Credit Card

We first need to go to the office to get ourselves imported and fill out the paper work. Then you head over to the Vehicle import booth to get the bike in. The take your bike title, make a copy and your personal import papers. Verify some stuff on the computer and charge your credit card for deposit of about $400 or so. (Mastercard/Visa) Last year I didn't take a credit card they accepted, so I paid in cash. When you leave/check your vehicle out they refund you cash/cancel you credit card deposit.

In about an hr. we had made it through the border. We were about 2 hrs ahead of the others and nothing was open at the border, so we headed to Chihuahua to wait for the others while the sun rose up behind us. Normally we exchange some cash ($500 or so) ,but we were gassed up and could make it to Chihuahua w/ out needing a stop. About 150 miles. We would be riding two-up, if you didn't get that yet.

We made it to the Hotel Maria Delorus around 11am. It was sunny and 70F. We unloaded and headed out to exchange some money, get some food and check out the local area.

It was great to be in Mexico.

That afternoon the rest of the group showed up.

We headed out for some food and watch the Super Bowl at a local bar. The locals seamed to really like the Giants. Good thing they won.

cjracer screwed with this post 02-24-2008 at 07:35 PM
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote