View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #14
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin
You mentioned that asking for discounts is often not productive. You're right but I've been slow to recognize it. More than one writer has suggested asking for discounts. I've tried at hotels, motels, and campgrounds and get only a token if that.
Yeah, this is one that confuses me. I've read "tips" several times to ask for a discount on a room. So far, I don't think it's ever worked for me. What has worked is sometimes I ask if they have a cheaper room available. While they won't discount the standard room, sometimes the have a cheaper room which they don't tell you about at first. Seems like if it's late and they still have vacancies, they'd rather give it to someone for cheap rather than letting it stay empty.
Quote:
I've asked people if I could "sleep in their field" while wearing a backpack with pad on top. Your advice to ask about "set up a tent" may be better. I had wanted to emphasize that I'd be quiet and about invisible. Homeowners really do offer food and showers to travelers.
Yeah, it's always good to let them know you aren't having a party. And like you said, almost every time that I've asked someone if I could camp out in their yard (or wherever) they've offered a plate of food, breakfast, shower, or whatever.

Quote:
If you have a bushes or a bit of woods where you feel private, it's possible to bathe completely (except hair) with 1 to 2 quarts of water and 2 or 3 bandannas. Most comfortable if you have two mossy spots: one to stand on wet and one to stand on dry.
This is a new one to me. The only outdoor bathing I've done is carry a package of baby wipes and clean up at the end of the day. It still leaves me feeling grimy though--and it's certainly not a budget shower.

Quote:
I like asking for water at farmhouses in the U.S. Most town water is chlorinated and I like the various flavors of iron and minerals that well-water offers.
I like that... and to go along with my passive technique, what I do in a situation like that is go up to the farmer and say, "Do you know where I can get some water?"

Quote:
Everything you wrote about introducing yourself and making the other person part of your trip were total news to me. I'm not outgoing at all. I have experienced but not recognized that people offer help when I don't ask.
I'm not really outgoing either. It's hard for me to approach a stranger and ask for something... but it's part of what I like about travel. It forces me to do something a little outside my comfort zone, and that's a bit of a rush.

Great comments, thank you for the feedback and new ideas.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote