View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
When traveling into Mexcico, be sure to bring Pesos. Dollars work, but you WILL pay more with dollars than with Pesos in many cases. You only THINK you're getting a deal.... mwwwaaa-haaa-haaa-haaa.

We got off to a slow start. Getting through Customs is... slow.

We needed Visas since we were going to be going into Baja California Del Sur (BCS). You cross the border and stop at "immigracion" You get your paperwork, walk down the block and across the street to the bank to pay the fees, then walk back and get your visa issued and stamped.

Don't forget to do this! They were pretty lenient about whether we had our paperwork going down, but ultra-strict about coming back...

By now it's pretty late in the day, so it's through Mexicali (who farted?) and into the open areas leading to San Felipe. I always stay at Pete's Camp when I go down there for the races, but this time we were just passing through. This part is boring, so no pics.

The flats, as usual, were pretty cool.

DRRAGS had the excellent idea of trying to ride on them. I've always gone down with a truck and even with winches (plural) and 36" mud tires and a highlift, I've always wondered about getting stuck. But it's a bike, right? WTF!!

Under the top crust, it became mud, and, given enough throttle, that mud would make you slowly stop making as much forward progress as you wanted.
I went waaaaaay out there. And found the zoom was broken on my POS Kodak.

After I got home, I found out the date stamp was set, so PROFUSE apologies in advance. Some pics showiung up lkater would make excellent desktops except for that STUPID, STUPID fact. Oh well, guess I'll have to go back to take more!!!

The pic everyone missed was my Husky sinking over the front axle as I went over the embankment and hit the curved part where the roadway slope met the ground. Fortunately, WOT and all that weight in the back made for a non over-the-bars event!

San Felipe has changed dramatically in the past 12 years. There's a Pemex after the Rockodile (see pics above), well stocked with booze. Clearly becoming an American's town. Fortunately, that Pemex meant SheepShagger was able to get gas on his own after tipping his 525 to the side to get all the fuel to the petcock side. Hmmm, maybe two petcocks on a tank (my stock Husky config) isn't as dumb as I thought... (but 4 (IMS tank)?)

Like many Mexican beach towns, San Felipe has its statues:

Here're the bikes parked. Wow, how clean they look!! Not a scratched or dented wheel on the lot!

Notice the JC Whitney topcase on my TE610 ($44!)? Get used to it, it made the whole trip in once piece. And as much time as that bike spent in the air, I'm shocked and amazed. The extra straps I brought were unnecessary. They're in the topcase, btw.

This is at the campsite in Puertocitas. I was going to bring MREs, but passed (learned that from DRRAGS on a past trip). Fortunately, there's a store in town with a good selection (one of the best of the small towns on the trip) and I got bananas, corned beef, a can of peaches, and beer. Using a helmet net on the topcase to retain them on the way to camp was a bad idea since the pavement ends at Puertocitas. Some beer got LOST. Bananas got squashed. And I lost the can of peaches I bought.

SheepShagger brought buns and sliced cheese and had cheese sandwiches while the rest of us had Cliff Bars (Thanks JWASHBURN!) and tuna sandwiches.

This is it for pics for from Puertocitas from me. I was still PO'd about my stupid KODAK. The white glow is my brand new ADV sticker. Stupid Kodak.

The moonrise was FANTASTIC that night (pics DRRAGS?).

I learned a lot that evening. Fortunately, nothing about love.

JWASHBURN taught us about the fact that in the Sea of Cortez, the water can have a phosphorences when agitated. Pics were not good of that event, but it is cool. The rock throwing only lasted about 10 minutes, then we got bored again and decided to sack out.

DRRAGS explained why stars twinkled.

Later we all watched the UFO, though I was the only one seeing it move. I blame the corned beef...

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 03-04-2008 at 02:30 PM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote